Thursday, August 18, 2005

Light hearted fun...

...and easy days are what August should be all about! I was downtown today and popped into the Fleetwood for a burger and a coke. The deck was comfortable and I got as close to my favorite table (the four top in the northeast corner) as I could. I love the hippy chicks that the Fleetwood hires, always have too! Anyway, I finish up, pay, and decide to go for a walk downtown. My favorite bartender, Shelley, had the day off so instead of a beer, I decided to get coffee. On the corner of Main and Liberty there is a Starbucks and I headed off in that direction. The first thing I have to say is that I have never been into a Starbucks before. I've been to many coffeehouses - even worked in one for a while, but never a Starbucks. I got an iced mocha frappaccino and went outside. I walked around the corner, saw an empty table, and sat down. I stirred my drink and looked up to see a bald headed black guy with a suitcase staring at me. He growled something and quickly moved to a table further down. Right then, I should have gotten up and left but I'm sort of used to the psychotic people one meets on the street. Over the course of 10 years, I've never had a problem either, until today. When I finished my coffee, I got up, tossed the cup in the trash, and headed toward my truck. This black dude was following me! I ducked into the alley and into the parking lot, side stepping this guy so he'd be in front of me. He kept muttering and growling as I cut through cars letting him put distance between us. When I got to my truck, I could see him behind me in the window. I am not sure what set this psycho off since I never said a word to him but it was a startling experience. No more Starbucks EVER - next time I want a frappaccino, I go down a block to CAFE FELIX !
Light hearted and easy, my @ss!