Sunday, August 06, 2006

Craig's List Rulz...

... once again, I got a wonderful deal off of Craig's List. Back in March, I found a beautiful drawing/drafting table up for sale at an extraordinary price and I bought it. This weekend, it was my good fortune to find an equally exceptional deal on a mountain bike. I picked it up early this morning.
... the bike is about 10 years old, but in incredible shape. The owner told me that he only rode it a few times before it ended up hanging on a rack in the garage. The speedometer confirms this, with a grand total of 38 miles recorded! Other than needing some lubrication on the chain and sprockets, the bike appears to be brand new. I jumped on the bike when I got home and took a short ride to just to check things out. I'll adjust the seat, oil the chain, and start riding seriously again.
... now, notice that I said "riding seriously again". The fact is that this bicycle is actually the fourth one I've owned. I arrived in town with an old Raleigh "English Racer" 10 speed that had already seen better days when I got here. After replacing bent rims a couple of times, I sold the Raleigh and got a new "all terrain" bike. Late one November night, under very suspicious circumstances, all the bikes in the yard were stolen. We have ideas about the who, what, when, where, how, and why, but the bottom line is that those bikes were never seen again. Anticipating a similiar theft, I replaced the stolen bike with a cheap generic model that I never liked very much. A perfect example of the axiom, "You get what you pay for", the bike fell apart, rusted out, became unsafe, and was disposed of. At long last, it's replaced.
... I figure that I'll start out with some short jaunts around the neighborhood after my morning coffee. I'll do the nearby errands that I'd normally just jump in the truck for by bicycle. A week or two of that should build up some kind of endurance and leg strength. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an invalid by any means, but by the end of my little test ride this morning, I felt some burning in my legs and know better than to go at this full force all at once. I want to put more than 38 miles on the bike, after all! I'll keep you updated.